Macrolepiota colombiana Franco-Mol.
First published in Actualid. biol., 21 (no. 70): 14 (1999)
This species is accepted
This species is found in Colombia and Costa Rica. It is used for food.
- Solitary. Pileus: 4–12 cm diam., convex, plane to umbonate; surface dry, entire at the center, breaking into large to small scales or areolate to finely granulose toward the margin, center areolae, brown on white blackground; margin entire or splitting radially toward the center, inrolled. Context: white, slowly changing to grayish-red when exposed. Hymenophore: lamellate, free, close, thick, white, unchanging. Stipe: up to 15 cm long, central, bulbous, strict to curved; surface dry, smooth to rugulose, glabrous to finely velutinous, brown except at the base which is white. Basal mycelium: scattered, white, cottony. Annulus: superior, double, white and membranous on the innerside, tough and concolorous with the stipe, becoming moveable with age. Odor: very strong of cabbage. Taste: indistinct. Spore print: white. Spores: broadly ellipsoid to ovoid, smooth, dextrinoid.
- This species has a neotropical distribution and is found in Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, and Brazil, where it usually occurs at altitudes between 1700 and 3000 m. It is a saprotrophic species which mostly grows on soil in pasture. It is an edible fungus used by rural communities, for instance in various municipalities of the department of Boyacá (Colombia).
- Lechucitas (Spanish)
- Neotropics. Altitude: 1700 – 3000 m a.s.l. Colombian departments: Antioquia, Boyacá, Cundinamarca, Nariño.
- Saprotroph. - Soil saprotroph. Habitat/ecology: on soil, in meadows.
- Use Food Mushrooms
- Part used: Basidiome. In Boyacá, Colombia, the species is used as edible by rural communities in the municipality of Chiquinquirá (Boyacá). They prepare it roasted with salt.
Catalogue of Fungi of Colombia
- © Copyright 2021 Useful Plants and Fungi of Colombia http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0
- © Copyright 2021 Index Fungorum Partnership. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0